CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Project 365, Day 130 (5/10/09) Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there today... whether your babies are 2 or 22.

Whether you read them bedtime stories or you chat on the phone with them about a novel you've both read.

Whether you are cutting their dinner into tiny pieces or they invite you to their home and cook dinner for you.

Whether you are finding a babysitter just to go grocery shopping without "incident", or you now only have a few bags of groceries anyway.

Whether you hide in the laundry room to talk on the phone, or you talk to your children hundreds of miles away over the phone.

Whether your house is so busy you can't hear yourself think, or it's now just...too quiet.

Happy Mother's Day.

Because when it comes down to it, we're all going through or have been through the same things. Because we're all weary. Because we all live for our children and would die for them, too.

I'd like to share a little story about the understanding between mothers. If only ALL mothers would quit trying to compete to be the "best mom" and would stop and realize that we're all in this together.


One day a few months back, I took Logan and Jackson to Muskegon to do some school shopping and was somehow able to coax them into eating lunch at the Olive Garden (I love their soup, salad and breadsticks).

After we'd been seated and placed our orders, I said, "Let's go use the bathroom, guys, and wash our hands." Both boys got up and began to follow me, and we were about 10 ft. away from the booth, when Logan decided to break out his little seven-year-old attitude.

"My feet are KILLING me from shopping!" he said, loud enough for half the restaurant to hear. "I'm staying here!" And back to the booth he trotted.

I stood my ground, turned, and with my eyes as wide as I could stretch them and my teeth as hard as I could clench them, told him, "GIT OVER HERE NOOOOW," just loud enough for him to hear me, while giving the ol' mom quick-snappig point-from-you-to-the ground-in-front-of-her gesture.

I noticed a 70-ish year old woman, who was sitting in the next booth with her husband, was watching the whole scene. I felt the pinge of embarrassment in my gut as I marched back to the booth (dragging poor, compliant Jacks by his hand behind me) and said, "FINE. But if you get kidnapped while I'm gone, I'm NOT going to look for you!"

Jackson and I went to the bathroom by ourselves, him pausing at the door to check out the skirted stickperson and let out a long sigh of defeat for still being dragged into the girls' room. On our way back to the booth, I felt the old lady's eyes staring me down again, and I thought to myself, "No way, lady... don't you dare tell me how cruel I am for the kidnapping threat."

I was waiting for it. Three hours of shopping with 5- and 7-year-old boys, and I was ready let her have it right back. As my eyes met hers, she gave me a little smile, did the "Oh darn!" snap and said, "He's still there!" with a chuckle!

This is the way it ought to be between moms, young and old - an understanding that we're just not "perfect" every day of the week, and neither are our kids. :)

Happy Mother's Day.

And for the picture of the day... here are my beautiful homemade gifts from Logan and Jackson:





What do you think? Is it me?



The phrase "working mother" is redundant. ~Jane Sellman

2 comments:

gaffney.kristin said...

Hahahaha I can understand the "snap your finger get over here now" thing! lol Glad to hear Jack made your mothers day one to remember!

Deb said...

Nice photos...funny story ;)