CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 6, 2009

Project 365, Day 30 (1/30/09) Saying good-bye.

Woke up at Ron and Carol's and saw out the window that their crazy turkey friends were back again. These things are seriously nuts. We have witnessed them dangle from the tree in my inlaws' yard so they could pluck the berries off of it. I've seen them fly, and I had no idea such a fat bird could do that! Apparently these feathered friends visit daily and are quite entertaining.

Photobucket

Photobucket


Today is my birthday. But I'm going to pretend it's not, because I don't want to think about how we burried grandpa on my birthday every Jan. 30th from here on. Not sure yet how well I succeded.

What was already a very emotional day was made even more so by the bagpipes playing Amazing Grace and the military tribute that grandpa received for his service in the Army. It was so hard to say good-bye.

I gave Logan the option of coming to the funeral, and he was certain he wanted to go. He was very mature through the whole thing. He has been so empathetic to what I've been going through. I have really seen a side of his character that I will always be proud of.

My last words to grandpa were ones of gratitude. I thanked him for being such a wonderful grandpa. Because he was. He really was. And I wish that I'd told him that more when he was alive.

We made the 3-hour drive back West and were caught off guard by the 6-8" of snow that we'd received during our absence. Marc emptied the Explorer and immediately went out to clear the driveway. The kids, with newfound energy after stretching their legs again, ran off to play. I numbly began to put the luggage away.

Shortly thereafter, our friend Tonia and her daughter Katelyn stopped by. They brought dinner and snacks and even a wonderful birthday cake for me. I can't tell you how much that meant. Even after almost 9 years of living here, we really don't have many close friends, and it gets so lonely. To see these two ladies with their sympathetic smiles, and knowing that we actually did have someone on this side of the state who cares, meant the world. I will never forget that gesture of kindness.


"Friendship isn't a big thing - it's a million little things." ~Author Unknown

0 comments: